Saturday, August 29, 2026

garden


The zinnias in my garden have been blooming for a while already. So have the sunflowers and nasturtiums. I noticed the cosmos finally joined them. In the morning and afternoon I often spot butterflies and bees enjoying them.
 
It is also zucchini season. I have been eating it in a variety of ways. Today I made a spice cake and zucchini bread. One plant is enough and I usually check it every day, but I still had a few monster ones that ended up in the compost pile.
A couple of weeks ago, I made two one-gallon jars of refrigerated dill pickles. 
And most days there is a bowl of fresh tomatoes to eat and share. I want to make and can some salsa-I think with as many tomato plants that are in my garden, it should be possible.

I have also been using basil, kale, onions, and peppers, too. One row of green beans has been pulled out already, the string beans should be ready soon.  I am grateful that I do not have to grow and preserve all my own food, but it sure is nice to have fresh garden produce.

No comments: