Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This afternoon I finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. When I started reading it, I knew that I would enjoy the story and didn't want to read through it too quickly...good books are meant to be savored. The story is told through a series of letters written by Juliet, Sidney, and as the story progresses, a wide variety of residents of the island of Guernsey. It is set in Europe in 1946, so the story includes many references to World War II. As I read it made me wish that more people wrote letters and that I had traveled to Europe this summer. It was a well told story with believable characters. As it progressed, I was surprised at the direction of the book, but not disappointed. If my book club wasn't so adamant about reading books that no one has yet read, I would take it as a suggestion for our next book choice.

The link to the book is also currently having an essay contest regarding your favorite book, and if you win, you will recieve a copy of the book.

2 comments:

Anita D. said...

It sounds like a good book.


Hey, have you heard about book blogger appreciation week? Since you're a book blogger, you should check it out:
http://www.bookbloggerappreciationweek.com/

Amanda Jean said...

i think that my neighbor read that book this summer. she has referenced it in a few conversations. i think she may read as much as you. :)