Saturday, May 15, 2010

Children's Book Week

May 10-16 is Children's Book Week. Even if you don't have children, these are some books you might enjoy reading.All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan is a fantastic picture book. I happened upon this book when I was teaching fourth grade in California, and then my friend gave it to me for my birthday. The illustrations are painted by Mike Wimmer. Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan is a novel. Ryan writes about Naomi who lives in California and doesn't have a perfect family. She wishes things were different but finds some contentment in the way life is. Journey by Patricia MacLachlan is the story of a boy named Journey and his sister Cat. MacLachlan weaves together the story of Journey, his sister, his grandparents, and his absent mother. The characters are strong and believable. Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan is a book I could read over and over again. If you have only watched the movie, you are missing the strength of the story that MacLachlan conveys in words.
Actually, I would recommend any novel that MacLachlan has written. She does a great job of telling stories and making the characters believable.
Do you have any favorite children's novels that appeal to adults as well as children?

5 comments:

Anita D. said...

Three out of four are by MacLachlan, I see. She must be the author of the week.

We've recently read "All the Places to Love" and I'd say it's among my favorite children's books as well.

One book that comes to mind as appealing to adults as well as children: "Across Five Aprils."

Clair said...

I read Across Five Aprils a long time ago...it must have been in seventh grade.

Amber said...

My favorite book of all time is Grasshopper Summer. I'd love to have a copy of it now, I've read it probably 10 or more times!

cydney said...

Great choices! I just read my class, A Toad for Tuesday, Oh,The Places You'll Go, and Molly's Pilgrim. We loved them all. I will have to try Across Five Aprils and Grasshopper Summer.

Anonymous said...

a little princess
francis hodgson burnett