Monday, May 19, 2014

exploring history

Last year, I purchased a year's membership to the Minnesota Historical Society.  The membership allows a person to visit any of the historic sites at no additional charge. Last August, I went to Historic Fort Snelling for the first time in my life and was intrigued and would recommend it to everyone.


The same day I went to the James J. Hill house in St. Paul.  Another place I enjoyed touring.  I was amazed at the size of the house. 

Yesterday, I visited the Oliver H. Kelley Farm.  I am not sure I would put it on my list of places to go again, but I had driven by the sign for it on Highway 10 often enough to wonder what it was like.  The animals were actually the highlight for me.  There were a couple of groups of sheep trotting around the yard.  They hadn't been shorn yet, so their hair was pretty scruffy looking.
This sow was quite large (I don't remember my grandma's pigs being that big) and ugly.  It made me laugh.
Other sites I have been to this year are the Lindbergh Historic Site, Mille Lacs Indian Museum and Trading Post, and the Minnesota History Center. 

I would recommend buying a membership to the Minnesota Historical Society and then taking the time to visit some of the places that have been important in our state's history.  Memberships are available for individuals and families and last one year.  It will broaden your understanding of Minnesota's.  I hope to visit at least one or two more places before my membership is up, even if it is a repeat visit to Historic Fort Snelling.

No comments: