Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Day of School

Yesterday was my first day of school.  This year is going to be so different than previous years because learning more Spanish is much different than teaching children English.  I spent much of my morning talking with my teacher in Spanish.  It is challenging, because I know what I want to say, but my vocabulary is so limited in my second language.  I also know how to speak in the present tense, not in the future or past. When my teacher was talking to me, sometimes I didn´t understand what she was saying because of my limited vocabulary.  Besides learning a lot of Spanish, I think I am going to gain much empathy for my students as well.  While a student here, there will be multiple opportunites to take field trips, too.  My first excursion was a walking tour of the things nearby with one of the directors of the school.  She showed me good places to get pizza and hot chocolate, as well as a big market I might frequent if I need something.

3 comments:

cydney said...

I am so excited for you, Clair...and I confess, a little bit envious. I would love to write to you in Guatemala if you would send me your address.

cydney said...

P.S. I will write in English.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very exciting and also challenging--you will be speaking fluently in no time! I have to remember to keep checking your blog!