Monday, December 8, 2014

helping

 
The past couple of weeks I have been spending my mornings at the Hogar de Ancianas (a home for elderly women) here.  It is another way to practice what I have learned in my weeks of language school.  Most mornings, I help some of them get to breakfast, then after breakfast I help them to the room where many like to sit in the sun to get warm.  Then I might help in the kitchen, the laundry, or other miscelaneous tasks.  When there is not a job for me, I sit with the ladies and talk with them.  Around lunch time, I help get the ladies to the dining room and then assist in serving lunch.  Helping out is a way to practice my Spanish, but it is also a good reminder that getting old is not for the faint of heart. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like this is very different from working with children, which was your goal - though perhaps you do see a few similarities? I hope you find it a rewarding experience.

Buy the way, I've joined Paperback Swap, which I first heard of from you.