Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry is my most recent read.  It was required reading for me 20 years ago when a college student, this time I picked it up because I found it for a dollar at Goodwill and wanted to bring some decent books with me to read while in Mexico. 
Jonas, the main character, is an eleven year old living in a utopian community.  At the age of twelve, each child is assigned a career.  Jonas wonders what his assignment will be and is quite surprise to get the job of receiver.   His life is altered in a manner he never could have imagined.
Lowry has done an excellent job at telling this story, but it is too bad it is classified as children's literature,  as some people would not pick it up to read.  The content is more mature than some elementary students would grasp and I would not recommend it for all children.  I do think adults should read it, though.  It would be worth  discussing with a book club or a group of teens.  I  am curious about the movie based on the book, which came out last year.  Have your read the book or seen the movie?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.