Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Song I Knew by Heart

I had not heard of Bret Lott until I saw this book mentioned at the end of another novel I read. The book has characters named Naomi and Ruth (with husbands Eli and Mahlon) to remind us of the story from the book of Ruth in the Bible. It had a slow beginning...I was on page 50 or so and decided that I would read to page 100 before choosing whether I would finish it. I don't know if I would recommend this book to others, as it had a lot of description and a lot of introspection by the main character. The main character, Naomi, is struggling with forgiveness...not having to forgive another person as much as having to forgive herself. She also cannot fathom the forgiveness given to her by another person. The end of the book (the last 50 pages of 300) were the best. One of my favorite lines in the book was "To live was to receive love, and to give it away."
Another focus of the book was the importance of extended family. Sometimes family can really fill a need that you have to belong somewhere, and family can come through, though imperfectly, in difficult times.
I don't know if I will read other books by Bret Lott, but this could be a good book for a book discussion group if they wanted to talk about things like family, grief, and forgiveness.

2 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

I like reading your book reviews. how many books have you read so far this year? maybe you could keep a running total somewhere on your blog? I would be interested to watch it, if no one else would. :)

Amanda Jean said...

You've been tagged!
I am tagging you for 6 weird things.
RULES: People who get tagged need to write a blog post of 6 weird things about them as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says "you are tagged" in their comments and tell them to read your blog.
(If you want!)
AmandaJean