Tuesday, March 11, 2008

book club

Last year I started a book club...not sure why it took me so long to do that since I have been an avid reader since second or third grade. We have been meeting a little over a year, with a break in the summer and for Christmas. Anyway, the books that we have read so far are

  • The End of the Spear by Steve Saint
  • Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury
  • One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
  • Angry Housewives Eating BonBons by Lorna Landvik
  • At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
  • Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Scrap Everything by Leslie Gould
  • In An Instant by Lee and Bob Woodruff
  • A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
  • Hamilton Heir by Valerie Hansen
  • Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy

The two books that I like the best are The End of the Spear and Like Dandelion Dust. As you can see by the titles, the book have been a mix of fiction and nonfiction. I think in May it will be my turn to bring the books. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book that would be good for a book club? Has anyone read any of the books that our book club has read?

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have read Like Dandilion Dust and am a huge fan of Karen Kingsbury anything. I also love anything by Luann Rice and most Debbie Macomber books. Good luck!

Amanda Jean said...

I have read angry housewives (also for my book club) and At home in mitford. (I really liked the Jan Karon one...I read most of the series.)

no recommendations.

working on scoop. read a few pages last night.

Cami said...

I am new to your blog, just stumbled upon it today so I don't know if you have read this book or not, but it is definitely one of my favorites. Called "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Originally written in spanish and translated to this english version. Loved it and couldn't put it down.

Anita D. said...

How about one of the following?

The Middle of Everywhere by Mary Pipher
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

All of them offer interesting views of our culture through someone else's eyes.

maggie moran said...

We really got into The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Lots' to talk about with this one. :)