Tuesday, June 12, 2018

summer activity jar

Here are directions on how to make a family activity jar.  I came up with the idea after doing some reading about summer learning with children.  To start with, I made a list of 70 learning activities, some in each of the areas of science, math, literacy, and social studies.  (There are a few just for fun activities, too.)  Then I wrote each idea on a strip of paper.  After that,the activities strips can be put in a jar or container with cover.  The idea is for the family to choose a slip of paper each day and completes the activity.  I made the activity ideas fairly simple...most do not take more than a paper and pencil, a map, or a book.  Most activities would be completed in under 15 minutes.
Here are a few ideas I used-
  • count how many pairs of shoes each person in your family has
  • read four books by the same author
  • listen to some music from when your parents were young
  • learn some words or phrases in another language
  • make shadow pictures on the wall using a flashlight and your hands
  • call an aunt or uncle
  • list 20 or more foods that are grown in Minnesota
This takes a little preparation initially, but then the daily learning activity is ready and you don't have to think about something new each day or week.  My guess is doing this would lead to more learning in other parts of the day, whether it was child or parent directed.
If you decide to make one of these for your family and need ideas, let me know and I would be willing to share my list with you. 

No comments: